Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mo Rocca

Due to the generosity of my bishop, I was able to attend the Youth Rally at St. Joseph Seminary in Yonkers NY during Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the USA. This is one small part of a series of posts about my experience. Please check back for more updates.

When I was a freshmen in college my roomate and I watched the Daily Show with John Stewart almost every night. One of the primary reasons we watched was that everyone besides John Stewart was really funny. Stephen Colbert was funny. Nancy Walsh was funny. Steve Carell was funny. But most especially, Mo Rocca was funny. Ever since these 4 left the show, the Daily show has been pretty bad, in my opinion. But back to the Pope... imagine my surprise when I discovered that Mo Rocca was going to be the MC of the Youth Rally. What the heck was he doing here of all places?Well apparently he's Catholic. I'm not sure how much he practices the faith, but he was educated by Jesuits and his mother seems to be very commited (She was watching the event on EWTN).

Mo Rocca was a wonderful MC of this event. We were all laughing every time he spoke. He was obviously improvising quite a bit in between acts to try and keep us entertained and he did very very well. There is no video out there of him, but if it ever comes out, you should watch it. One of his hidden talents that he used was naming the capital of any country that anyone shouted out.

This post isn't nearly as funny as I envisioned it, since I can't really remember anything specific, so I'm just going to stop.

More later.

3 comments:

John Giza said...

Oh,
it was that Mo Rocca--
I was thinking of the other one--
the taller one--

Youse ain'ts are good: very good!

ILMR

Peter Mottola said...

I think my favorite Mo Rocca moment was when we seminarians drowned out his attempt to get the crowd singing "Happy Birthday" with the Salve Regina.

Seminarian said...

Ha. I didn't even realize he was singing happy birthday there. I was just singing away with the salve.