Saturday, December 08, 2007

No Country for Old Men

Saw it last night and thought I'd share some of my thoughts...


First of all, the concept of this movie was great. For the first hour and a half I was on the edge of my seat. The movie is about a deer hunter from Texas named Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brodin) who comes across the scene of a drug deal gone completely wrong. Only one person was alive at the scene, although he was badly injured and in need of water. Moss leaves the man at the scene and tries to find the "last man standing." He finds him under a tree with a satchel containing 2 Million dollars. He takes the money with him and goes home. This of course makes the drug lords unhappy so they hire a hitman (Javier Bardem) to get the money back. This begins an exciting chase across the State of Texas that will only end when one of them dies.

This chase set up what could have been an intense climax for the movie. Only the movie didn't show you what happened. It just kind of told you. I'm sure that artistically this was a great move, but I personally wanted to see what happened. To be fair this was apparently very faithful to the book by Cormac McCarthy, which is always good. But still, I wanted to see how things went down.

The final thirty minutes were boring. You had to pay close attention, and after the first hour and a half of suspense I found this impossible.

I will definately watch this one again to try and get the most out of the final 30, and I'll probably pick up the book one day, but I must admit I'm sort of confused about the point of the film. I'll also admit that I don't understand the Oscar Buzz surrounding this one (other than the fact that its been a bad year for movies).

I give it a C.

No comments: