Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hammer Time!

As bad as the Seahawk's loss tastes (I didn't even watch it as I've been busy writing a paper on the Christology of the letter to the Hebrews) it couldn't ruin a great weekend. As I mentioned a few posts earlier, I participated in The Nike Run Hit Remix in LA. It is a 5 mile race, and every mile or so there is a stage some old skool hip-hop acts performing. If you don't want to read this whole post, I understand, but at least skip to the MC hammer portion. Its worth it.

The race began at 9am, and there was a great turn out. They were expecting 10,000 but I'm not sure how many actually registered...



A couple notable celebrities were in attendance, including tennis player Serena Williams. Serena was there to speak on behalf of "Let Us Play," a charity that tries to get sports equipment and fields into the inner cities.

The race began, and before I knew it, I was at the first stage, where "Naughty by Nature" was playing. They were a lot of fun, but I only stuck around for one song. I don't understand why, but for some reason, people don't want to get too close to the performers. Everyone was like 20 feet away. Except me, of course:

The second stage featured "The Sugarhill Gang." They were pretty fun, but nothing over the top. The real fun began at the next stage, where Dawn Robinson of "En Vogue" was singing. Dawn was a lot of fun. I showed up just as she was finishing up with, "You're Never Gonna Get It." I don't know much about En Vogue, but I do remember the song, "Free Your Mind," which I looked up on Youtube to remember the words. I of course started requesting it. She told me she wasn't gonna do it until the end, so I started singing it and, yes, she joined it and sang a few bars. Here is the proof: She also posed for a picture with me and my friend William:
At Mile number 4 was the guy I was most excited about seeing: Sir Mix-a-Lot! Let's back up. When I was in grade school, my best friend had a tape that his older brother and sister made for him of all the "coolest" music. This tape featured Millie Vanilli, Bobby Brown, and a whole lotta Sir Mix-a-Lot. As soon as I showed up I started requesting "My Posse's on Broadway." He sang it immediately, and I sang along with him. Next, I requested "Swas," and I was surprised it was still in his repertoire, but he sang it as well. Next, I went for "Jump On It," and he said, "Dude, are you trying to kill me? I gotta be careful of my voice." So he denied me there, but we stuck around for a few more songs. I think we were probably there 25 minutes or so. I've got a video of This performance, but for some reason Youtube won't take it. When I figure it out, I'll post it.

Now onto the best part of the weekend my life. After completing the race in a little over an hour we worked our way toward the stage for the MC Hammer portion of the morning. I had a goal to get a good section of the crowd chanting "Add-am's Fa-mil-y! Add-am's Fa-mil-y!" Well, we got pretty close, and he came out on stage (Yes, this the video I took of it. Sorry the sound is pretty bad):

After he was done with the song, I started chanting. Although a lot of people thought this was funny, nobody joined in. After the next song I tried again, but there were no takers. So I thought, I'm gonna just have to get closer so he can hear me yelling. I tried to weasel my way forward even further, but I couldn't get much closer. Then, something incredible happened...

Hammer asked if there was anyone out there who knew how to do the "Cha-Cha." He said if you could, then you could get up on stage. Now, I have no idea how to Cha-Cha, but I did want to request Adam's family bad enough that I was willing to embarrass myself in front of the several thousand racers in order to ask the man directly. I left my camera with William and forced my way to the stage, and yes, I was let up.

Not wanting to embarrass myself or the Seminary too much (Yes, Fr. Dave, I was thinking of what you told me at Mike and Kristine's wedding...), I decided to just go chill in the back, behind everyone with legit dance skills. Well, backstage were a couple of his dancers, so I asked them if they still knew the dance moves to Addam's groove. A couple of them had never even heard of it. Frustrated, I looked around, and that's when I saw Tennis Star Serena Williams standing in the back. Disappointed I didn't have my camera, I just went and shook her hand. Yes, she is really nice in person.

Anyway, the dancers weren't going to help me out at all. If I was gonna get my song played, I was gonna have to ask the guy myself. So, I fought my way to the front of the stage. And when the song was over, I had my window of opportunity.

William got some awesome pictures. This is the moment I asked him.


The question drew some laughter. Even PMU (Poor Man's Usher, as we dubbed him) was smiling. As for MC, he chuckled and said, "Nah man. I don't do Addam's any more. Ah man." Then he gave me 5. It was awesome.

But I didn't give up. I had to keep pestering the guy. The funny thing is, both MC and PMU were pretty interested in what I had to say. See! The outrageousness is only outdone by my goofy facial expression:

Still no dice, but I had done everything that needed to be done to make it happen. It just wasn't meant to be. Overall, it was a great experience and I'm happy I can tell such a great story. MC Hammer is definitely cool for putting up with me. He still is a great entertainer, so if you ever hear of him putting on a show, I'd recommend going. I had a blast.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Now I've gotta finish the paper mentioned at the beginning and then translate a bunch of Greek.

Later...

2 comments:

Val said...

That's so freakin' awesome!!
Seminarian meets MC hammer. ha ha ha!! Bryan you're a riot!

Annie said...

Bryan that is so cool! I'm jealous, I would have paid to see you talking to all these performer's, only you!!!
I love it!