Saturday, April 21, 2007

Little Break

No need to worry. I'm still here. Growing in holiness (Or trying to anyway). But for those of you who emailed me, I appreciate it.

Things are still crazy busy around here. I got that paper done for Moral Theology, in which I critiqued the Fundamental Option Theory in Light of John Paul II's encyclical Veritatis Splendor. I'm not going to post it, but I'll give you the gist of it here:

Basically, during the "renewal" of Moral Theology that occurred as a result of the second Vatican Council a theory surfaced called the Fundamental Option Theory. This theory stated that as free persons we not only have the ability to make everyday choices (like what to eat for breakfast) but a deeper freedom to choose the type of person we want to become. For us Christians, that is to make a fundamental decision to follow Christ. That's a great first step for us to make, but where this idea became problematic was that people began to evaluate morality based on this fundamental direction, rather than the individual acts a person commits. In other words, if I make a decision to follow Christ and live it out well most of the time but sin once or twice, I don't have to worry because my fundamental option is intact, and I remain basically oriented towards God (hence, there is no need for repentance or reconciliation).

The Pope didn't like this because it is a denial of the Church's teaching on Mortal Sin, a belief that we can lose friendship with God for freely committing a grave act with full knowledge and consent of the will. Rather, in order to lose God's favor, I would have to express a fundamental option against God.

Thats a very brief overview of the situation. Imagine that spread out over 10 pages.

Onto some news from the homefront... here are the appointments from the home Diocese. Once again, my hometown is affected and my pastor will be moving on at the first of July. I'm sad to see him go, but I know deep down that the Holy Spirit is working through it all. Good luck Fr. Frank... you'll be missed.

In some news that only I care about but am going to tell you anyways, my old high school soccer team has returned to its proper place of being competitive! See... check out what the boys did against Burlington. Not only is the Sehome Soccer team doing well, but Coach Hatch has the Baseball team playing well too! Go Mariners!

Speaking of Mariners, I knew Seattle wouldn't stay competitive for more than two weeks... oh well.

Well, now that I've rambled enough... I'll leave you with this. The most awesome idea ever. I'm actually a bit jealous that I didn't come up with this. But then again, it probably cost a lot of money and time to visit all these places, which for me are limited resources. Good work Matt.

4 comments:

John Mark said...

That was some seriously impressive traveling!!!

Allie said...

What a coincedence! I just wrote a paper on Fundamental Option Theory in the light Veritatis Splendor for my Moral Theology also ... and it was the same length too. I'll bet you did well!

Great job with the blog and have a blessed Easter season! Resurrexit sicut dixit!

Seminarian said...

Allie,

I was amazed at how many implications this theory has had on the way people have lived out there faith. Praise God JPII was there to straighten things out.

We'll see how well I do... my professor is very difficult and I already know a couple things I did that will probably hurt my grade (stupid things like formatting and such).

Allie said...

I had a teacher in high school who was a total MLA "Nazi;" everything had to be perfect ... so I can totally relate. I have heard that there is a Theology prof like that at Aquinas but I have not been in any of his classes.

You know what really helped me in my paper? I found a really cool essay by a Theology prof (he has a Sacred Theology Doctorate),at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit, comparing the two views of FOP in light of Veritatis Splendor. I could send it to you if you wish, it is very good.

I'll bet you will do just fine. Saint Thomas Aquinas and Saint Charles Borromeo, pray for you.

-God Bless
Allie