Saturday, February 03, 2007

Goodbye Late Tuesday

I was disapointed to hear that one of my favorite local (Bellingham) bands is not going to be a band anymore. From their website:

You'd think that with our experience in writing breakup songs, the following would be easy for us to write. However, it is not. So, here goes. After 6-and-a-half fun (really fun) years, 4 full length albums and a Christmas EP,we have made the decision to break for an indefinite amount of time.

Turns out I'm a little late on the info. This came out at the end of November. They played their last show Friday night in Bellingham, where the band began and where a lot of their fans still live. I obviously wasn't able to attend, but I did send a quick email to them asking whether or not they'd be recording the final show, so I could at least pretend I was there. Here is the response:
the word on the street is: yes, this show will be recorded. more to come, after the show.
thanks for writing. sorry california and bellingham aren't neighbors.

sincerely,
dana
She writes how people talk! But its good they'll be recording.

Bellingham has a lot of local bands because of the college students and hippies running around, but these girls were my favorite. My favorite CD of theirs is their debut, self titled album. The second one has some great tracks too, but the third one is of note for Catholics. Its called "Remember We Forget." If there are any Chesterton fans out there you might remember this from his book Orthodoxy:
Every man has forgotten who he is. One may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God; but thou shalt not know thyself. We are all under the same mental calamity; we have all forgotten our names. We have all forgotten what we really are. All that we call common sense and rationality and practicality and positivism only means that for certain dead levels of our life we forget that we have forgotten. All that we call spirit and art and ecstasy only means that for one awful instant we remember that we forget.

So if anyone is looking for something new, a little low key and laid back with some positive themes, check out Late Tuesday (Link on the right). They are probably most liked by a Christian audience, but if you don't like Christian music (which is ok, since I don't really either) you still might like them.

The only videos of the girls on youtube are pretty low quality, except one. I'm gonna put it here, but please know I'm not endorsing Dawson's Creek in ANY way. So, I'm also going to put a video up of Adam Morrison destroying San Francisco. Mute the Morrison video and watch it, while listening to the Audio of Late Tuesday. The Song is I Must Go.

Sorry playing the two videos makes it a little choppy, but its better than Dawson's Creek.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Good call Brian. I drove up on friday to catch the show and it was great! The ended (as would be expected) with "I must go" preceded by "Ordinary". If a copy of the concert ends up online post a link for the rest of us to enjoy.

Hopefully they'll continue on in a different way. I somehow can't imagine this being the real, for good, ending of their journey.

Seminarian said...

I knew that'd be the last song... I knew Ordinary would be on there too. I'm guessing it will be their last official release... but I bet Dana and Tara will be around still doing their solo stuff.

Jessica said...

I was sad to see them go too, unfortunatly couldn't make the drive up to hear the show. I hope they release a recording of it. Until then I'll keep on with my CDs...