Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Coming Clean...

I'll be honest right now. This has been one of the toughest semesters of my life. School is hard(er than it has ever been for me). Other aspects of formation are hard(er than they were last semester). Every time I sit down to pray I fall asleep. Its been very frustrating as it is, and its been worse with people letting me know that I look too skinny (can you believe that? Me? Skinny? Like I don't already know!), or that I look like I just got out of bed. This will all be even more frustrating when our "consultations" happen at the end of the week. Consultations are a mixed blessing. Its when all our profs get together and talk about us before we head into our annual review. Good stuff comes out, but some stuff that's hard to hear comes out as well. But I promise to take what they have to say seriously so I can live out the call as well as I can.

You who know me as that handsome zealous stud from college wouldn't even recognize me now. I'm just a handsome stud. The zeal part has been a bit lacking as of late. (please take the last few sentences as a joke, except for the part about zeal.) I've definitely been humbled this year. That's definitely not a bad thing, but the process of being humbled isn't easy to go through. Its like how Michael Jordan must have felt transitioning to Baseball, and then transitioning a bunch of years later to the Washington Wizards. Its like A-Rod must feel in New York. Its hard, but its life.

Which brings me to Ash Wednesday. Lent is upon us. I'm pretty excited about it. I see it as a huge opportunity for growth. I need to simplify some things, and just, you know, kick it in the desert with the Lord for a while. I'm pretty much going to give up blogging until Easter. There might be exceptions. If an emergency happens, I'll let you know. I'll be flying home in late March for a couple of weeks, so I'll make a post reminding you to pray for me. If anything else huge happens, I might get on for a quick word.

So, please pray for me if you have a second. I'll be checking the email, so if you have some words of encouragement for me, they would be greatly appreciated. Please pray for other seminarians who might be in a similar boat as me. Pray for our priests too. God willing...

5 comments:

Fr. Peter said...

Hang in there. The end result is well worth the struggle. Please know that you and your classmates will be in my prayers during this holy season.

John Mark said...

Yep. I'm praying for you too.

Mallahan Family said...

Hey you handsome stud from college...your zeal will return. We'll miss your posts but are glad to hear it's part of your lenten journey.

As we sat and read your blog we were reminded of your favorite song. To give you a hint does "Ni pon Que Que" ring a bell? We had to watch the video for old times sake. Yatta Yatta later.

Tom Herring said...

Bryan, you're in our prayers.

...Have you read anything by St. Alphonsus de Liguori?

:)

Br. Matthew Augustine, OP said...

I've been there. The greatest thing we can do for God is to be faithful during the times when we are running on empty. Lets keep eachother in prayer. God bless.