Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Black Dahlia (plus one)

Friday night has pretty much become movie night around these parts. Unfortuneatley, two movies I really wanted to see aren't in theaters around here anymore. I thought Children of Men would be a good one, and a couple people really wanted to see The Last King of Scotland. No Dice. We would have had to travel to Oxnard for these. So, we decided to rent something.

After a long debate we settled on The Black Dahlia, starring Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johansson, and (Sehome High School Alum) Hillary Swank. None of us were quite sure what to expect. We had all seen the preview, but didn't hear much about it after that. Now I know why. There isn't anything to talk about.

I would suggest to avoid this one. I was entertained, but just a bit confused and disapointed at the end. Basically its about these Cop boxers who are friends and try to solve the murder of a young woman. There is some corruption, some double crossing, some weirdness, but thats about it. I honestly woke up today not remembering what happened and how all these people fit together. The film is based on a novel, so maybe adapting it to the screen was too difficult. In terms of style, I didn't like the Film Noir style of it.

The actors did alright with this movie. Johansson wasn't great, but Hartnett was pretty good, as was Swank and a couple of the lesser known actors. Fiona Shaw (Aunt Petunia from the Harry Potter Movies) played, in my oppinion, a fantastic crazy person.

So, again, avoid this one.

Now as for the plus one. The other day I was flipping back and forth between Sportscenter and the movie Jarhead. Jarhead should have been called, "Don't Join the Marines." It was just really frustrating to watch these guys run around like total dirtbags in the desert. I might give it one more shot to pay some more attention to it, but probably not. It was just kind of a downer.

But Jamie fox is awesome. I love this job... Hooo-ahhh

I need to end this with something positive. Something from a good movie... and I've got the perfect thing:
Wow.

No comments: