Friday, January 12, 2007

Midnight Mass

I didn't go to Midnight Mass on Christmas. I begged my family to go, but instead we went to the "Children's Mass," even though none of us are children. My brother, at age 21, was the youngest there, then me, then like mid 30s or something. Afterwards, everyone wished we went to Midnight Mass.

I did get home in time to watch the entire Midnight Mass Liturgy from St. James. It was pretty much awesome.

I also watched a movie called Midnight Mass, a Vampire movie I saw on On Demand. I thought about rating it A through F minus, (since I know first hand from one of my history classes at WWU that F minuses do actually exist), but I'll just rate everything on a scale of 1 to 2... 1 being "Not the best ever," and 2 being "The best ever." This poor film has really been shoed on on sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Amazon, so out of charity, the 1 to 2 scale really applies, I think.

Acting:1
Script:1
Special Effects:1
Everything else that makes a movie good:1
A display of evil and the power of the Sacraments of the Church destroying evil:2

Seriously, I recommend this movie to any Catholic because the Eucharist dominates evil in the end. Its about how Vampires begin to take over the world, and so this Atheist and this Priest team up and decide to fight back. The priest, who had been falsely accused of pedophelia, returned to his parish to find that the vampires had taken it over as their lair. The priest goes in during the day and starts to fix it up, and a few of the parishoners come and help. After it looked presentable, he celebrated Mass, with profound reverence (although he had to improvise a little by using a Pepsi can as a chalice, because the dang vampires stole it). Right as he is finishing the consecration, the Vampires come in looking for a fight. The Eucharist kicked the trash out of them, and everyone celebrated in the end.

I thought the movie portrayed evil well. It showed evil to be mainly a distortion of good, and a twisting of the sacraments. There were at least 4 sacraments that were perverted, including Eucharist, Confirmation, Marriage, and Holy Orders, which is happening today without vampires running around. I think the writer gets it.

If you are not Catholic, you might not want to bother with this one. But if you are, it might be worthwhile, if you're in the mood for a low budget independent film that in most categories scores a 1 out of 2. It also might best viewed if you have nothing else to do. If you aren't, and it is still on On Demand, at least play it and fast forward it like an hour and 10 minutes to get to the Blessed Sacrament restraining evil.

No videos of it on Youtube, but you might want to read some reviews of it on IMDB.

Here is an old favorite, explaining pretty much the same thing:

Edit: I should add a caution that there is some nudity and some swearing and some drug abuse in the film.

No comments: