Monday, October 30, 2006

GU - UW

As the few of you who follow college basketball know, the University of Washington is thinking about not resuming their series with Gonzaga next year, and throwing an obstruction in the path of one of the great up and coming rivalries on the West Coast, if not the nation.

I want to be clear that I AM a Husky fan. I'm just a bigger Gonzaga fan. There are a few reasons why, but I've been a fan of GU since the early nineties when John Kinloch (That might not be the correct spelling) was my camp counselor at Camp Firwood in Bellingham. His "camp name," was Hoosier, and he is probably the best player ever to come out of my High School, Sehome. (OThers are Mark Spink of Gonzaga and Jacob and Jared Stevenson of WWU). I was only in fourth grade then, and I don't think I even knew that UW had a basketball team. Only when a really close friend of mine from High School walked onto the team in the year 2000 did I begin to follow the Huskies, and have been a pretty big supporter since.

The reason I say all this is because this letter I sent to Todd Turner of the UW athletic department may have seemed misleading, when it really isnt. It is more from my Husky fan side that I am disapointed with the decision. I am also, however, a fan of Washington State Basketball in general, and am proud that we have had such highly talented players come out of our state over the last couple of years, which will not be showcased at this level if the decision is kept. Anyways, a couple days ago, I wrote this:

Mr. Turner,

As a fan of University of Washington Basketball, I beg you to re-think your possible decision of ending the Gonzaga vs Washington game. No other event in the state of Washington showcases our state's basketball talent like this game. I believe it gives both of the schools great national attention, something that we have to work for on the West Coast.

Please reconsider,


Well, I was happy to check my email this morning to see that he actually took time to respond:

Dear Mr. ...,

Thank you for taking the time to write.

It’s not so much a decision to end the Gonzaga series as it is wanting to take advantage of other opportunities – there are only so many non-conference games available, and we want to make certain we try to do the right thing by the men’s basketball program and, more importantly, the student-athletes. We are in the final year of a four-year agreement with the Bulldogs, which is why this has come up now – it was not an open-ended series.

Thank you again for writing. I appreciate the feedback


First off, I have major respect for this guy to write me back, when he definately didn't have to... Even if he just copy and pasted it along with all the other people who wrote to him, or even more likely had a student on WorkStudy do it for him. I still got respek. But I still disagree with him too. But, his ear is open, so if there are any UW fans out there (I know there is at least one) or fans in general who want this guys ear... he is listening.

Just remember to be respectful...

I decided to leave this video, although I'm still a little bummed by the outcome, because it shows how into this game the UW fans are.
Rivalries take time to make. Gonzaga has dominated the series, and UW was obviously pumped up to stop the streak with an incredible win. If this Rivalry is going to happen, (And UW needs it more than GU) now is a good time to make it happen.

1 comment:

SA said...

Nice, and I agree that I respect the man for writing you back.
I still hate the UW.