Tuesday, September 26, 2006

C U When U Get There

The Nike Run Hit Remix was very very fun. It was a 5 mile race, but along the course there were some stages set up where some hip-hop acts from the 90s were playing. These acts included Debbie Gibson, Young MC, Vanilla Ice, Coolio, Digital Underground, and De La Soul.

We stayed at St. Vincent's Catholic Church which is located right across the street from the USC campus. We woke up early and walked over to the starting line, which was at the LA memorial Colliseum. On the way, we walked by one of the stages and saw Young MC doing his soundcheck. William, A seminarian from the Diocese of Orange, and I ran up to the stage and began calling out for the song Principle's Office. Mr. MC was not impressed and gave us quite a nasty stare.

The amount of people at the starting line was overwhelimng. At the beginning it was hard to actually run because the volume of people was so huge. But it wasn't too long before we were at the first stage... Young MC! I fought myself to the front and started yelling for Principle's office again. He just looked at me and said, "Come on man! I'm like 40 years old! I don't do that one anymore!" It was pretty rad.

The way that 'nilla Ice was set up was pretty good in theory because we got to see him twice. But really it was lame because we had to see him twice. I'm gonna pull the "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all" card out now and leave it at that, but you should know it wasn't the music that makes me say that.

Next, we found ourselves in the USC Frat Row. A lot of the fraternities and sororities were out cheering us on, which was actually kind of cool. It was right in the midst of the houses that Coolio was set up. I must say that I really really enjoyed Coolio. I wanted to hear "Fantastic Voyage," but instead we got "C U When U Get There," which was great to hear. He had a dude on a saxaphone playing with him, and everyone was really into it.

The next group of musicians was kind of a nice surprise, actually. A Gospel Choir from one of the local Baptist Churches was out seeing some hymns. Respek.

It was, however, about this time (only 3.5 miles in), that I started getting really sore. I pushed it until Digital Underground when I heard "The Humpty Dance playing." We just missed it though, so we stuck around for a wuick listen and then finished.

Our final time was about an hour and four minutes, but about 15-20 minutes, I'd guess, was spent listening to the acts. At the finish line, De La Soul was playing, and we got free Jamba Juice, which was cool.Unfortuneately I don't have any pictures, but if any are made available, I'll post them.

No comments: