Monday, July 10, 2006

Infant Baptisms, and an Old Woman

I had the interesting experience of attending the class that parents take who will have their infants baptised in the coming months. Overall, it was an interesting experience talking with the parents about why they wanted their kids baptised. Most of them, that I talked to had the same story. They were "forced" into Catholicism, and then left the Church. It was interesting though, that their kids brought them back into the Church. They also had an interest in practicing the faith more and passing it on to their children. No wonder God likes to give people babies!

After the class I walked out of the hall and near the Cathedral. There was a tiny old woman sitting on the steps looking like she wanted to get into the Cathedral. I greeted her and she looked at me, and kept looking at me, until I went into the Recory. I got up to the third floor and poked my head out, and she was (eerily) still looking at me.

Since she was up in years, I got a little worried. I went back down and asked her what she was up to. "Do you have a key?" she asked. I explained to her that the Cathedral was closed, and would be open again in the morning. "Fathers late for Mass." She said. She didn't realize Mass was almost 12 hours away.

I went and found the security guard that patrols the grounds. He talked to her for a while, but couldn't convince her that it was dark outside, and that Mass wasn't until morning. Luckily, we found out that she lives next door to the Cathedral in some senior housing the Archdiocese owns.

All in all, it has been an interesting night reflecting on two ends of Life's spectrums.

4 comments:

pyrosapien2819 said...

I teach the Baptismal preparation classes at my parish. It is normally a wonderful experience. I focus on showing the parents and Godparents that they are not just being forced to jump through some "hoops" for no reason. Many of the people who attend my classes lack an adult understanding of the faith. Once in a while one of the Godparents or parents is a Protestant. They end up being very surprised that Scripture and other early Church documents corroborate the Catholic teaching on Baptism being for infants and actually saving us through God's grace, (1 Pet 3:15-22).

Pyro

Michael said...

Why do you think you never left the Church and had to return after having kids. What makes you different from those folks. What experiences of faith have you had that may or may not have had?
Take care.

Val said...

Why didn't he leave the church? Because he was listening to the Holy Spirit and kickin' back with an awesome campus ministry. :)

mobilemob said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»