Thursday, April 20, 2006

Onto some sports stuff...

Because I actually haven't talked about it in a while, and I've been so busy writing papers lately that I have a lot of news to read myself.

First off, its official. Adam Morrison is going to the NBA. Yeah, it will be sad not seeing the guy sporting the Zag colors anymore, but it actually might be better for GU in the Long run. As always, Scott at La Revolucion has lots of hilarious commentary.

Also concerning the NBA draft, it seems as there's been a blow to UCLA and the Pac 10 since two of their stars have declared for the draft as well. Arron Afflalo and Jordan Farmar might not leave though, since neither of them have hired agents. I kind of think it might end up that Afflalo will leave and Farmar will stay. Some piece of my brain is telling me that as a fan of West Coast teams, I should be sad, but I'm definitely feeling happy about this. UCLA (and USC) are quickly becoming teams I hate. One reason for this is that they tend to beat my favorite teams in big games. The other is that they spur a bandwagon mentality so prevalent down here in LA. If the team is winning, everyone pretends like they're a fan. If they're losing, everyone pretends like their a fan of some other team...Awful. Nothing against Afflalo though. That guy actually seems pretty cool.

The Mariners look pretty bad...but not all the time. I am actually kind of excited about them this year. They are fun to watch. They are running the bases pretty aggressively, which is cool, and their defense is pretty solid. Still, that bullpen has got to shape up, or they need to ship some of these guys out now. Anybody remember the later-middler nineties when the M's had everything minus a bullpen. I remember watching games when they'd be up 5 or 6 runs only to hand it to Bobby Ayala and Norm Norm Charleton before the sad losery ride home. Ugh. And yet the M's still made the playoffs in '97 only to deal promising young talent Jose Cruz for some serious mediocrity (Mike Timlin, Paul Spoljarek - sp?) Seriously though...This wasn't even the worst deal. The Worst Deal in Mariners history? Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe for (worst mariner ever?) Heathcliff Slocumb. All of this was due to the terrible bullpen! Should the mariners young'ns keep up the decent play, and should the expensive veterans play the way they are supposed to, we got a decent squad. But if the team stays in contention I don't want to see guys like Reed or Betancourt or Lopez or Rivera mentioned in Trade Rumors. So my plea to Mr. Bavasi...Please get us some help..NOW!

I don't buy that the Sonics will be leaving Seattle.

Shaun...Please tell me what happened to the Canucks.

Can't wait for the World Cup. I have a feeling this blog is going to turn into a World Cup/ mariners Blog over the summer. I'm kicking around some ideas of gimmicks to keep up, sort of like all the awesomeness at La revolucion. Hopefully with more time on my hands I can actually write some coherent posts that aren't loaded with grammatical and spelling errors.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,

This picture sums up what I am thinking:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carebearwarrior/128604628/

Shaun

Seminarian said...

Yeah, I did notice I got Afflalo's first name wrong. Why? I don't know. I must be some sort of moron.

SA said...

I can't wait for World Cup. I've been watching soccer matches at like a two to three matches in a row clip.
Hopefully Ching makes the roster (which I'm pretty sure he won't), and then I can join you in some WC fun.
PS- thanks for the shout out. Come one, come all!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!

make extra money

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!

make extra money

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money